The National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) chapter at the University of Mississippi is excited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Communication Sciences and Disorders department. We have planned many exciting activities for the upcoming year in conjunction to celebrating this monumental occasion. Throughout the year, our members earn service hours by participating in local buddy walks, tutoring at local elementary schools, hosting spirit nights to bring awareness to the mission of our organization, and many other events. The graduate members also hold a meeting to help undergraduate members understand the processes for applying for graduate schools. The organization is planning to participate in a food drive called Oxford Lovepacks, which provides for children in the Oxford area.
Each year, our graduate students plan and host the Ole Miss Fall Institute, a continuing education conference. This year, the conference will be held on October first and second. The first Annual UM Chapter of NSSLHA 5k Run will occur on the first day of the conference, with proceeds from the run benefitting th UM CSD Sarah Wheat Voice Laboratory Fund. Registration for the run can be completed at racesonline.com/events/1st-annual-nsslha-5k. A silent auction is held at the conference and funds received aid in financially supporting graduate students in attending the annual ASHA convention. The students will be traveling to Denver this November and have planned many fundraising events for their trip. We are excited to see what this year holds for the Ole Miss chapter of NSSLHA!
2015 Students Survey conducted by the MSHA Membership Committee
Welcome Undergraduate and Graduate students!
We would like for you to know what some of the advantages are of being a MSHA member:
• State’s most powerful organization for speech language pathologists and audiologists
• Voice with ASHA (American Speech Language Hearing Association) as well as in local, state, and national government
• MS networking service; interact through online resources provided
• Shows potential employers involvement in your state’s professional organization
- Once you begin working, webinars and yearly conference offer continuing education units (CEUs); and expertise from other members
If you are attending MSHA conference this year March 30 - April 1, 2015, please stop by the Schools Issues/Membership Committee table. You will find information on the following topics:
• MSHA brochure
• SLP Handbook (great tool for your first year on the job)
• Job Listings
• Loan Forgiveness Information
• Audiology and Healthcare Information